“I couldn’t imagine anyone else to photograph the best day of our lives” Fiona and Craig’s story
Bride Fiona Bell and groom Craig Bell booked with Summer Love Photography for their wedding in April 2016. They share intimate details of their big day and what is was like having Summer Love as their Photographer.
What made you decide to go with Summer Love Photography as your wedding photographer?
– I think the second we met Jo she put us at ease, she was warm and welcoming, full of advice, and gave us plenty of examples of her work, which is all incredible! Her photography is simply beautiful, natural, bright, not harshly edited and so many precious moments that are unforgettable for all her brides and grooms. We had been to see a few photographers previously and always came out with pros and cons, but with Jo we drove home and I jumped straight onto the laptop to send an email to tell her we would like to book her! It’s kind of like when a bride tries on ‘the’ dress they just know it’s the one, Jo gave us that feeling, she was ‘the’ photographer we wanted and needed!
How did Jo make you feel on your wedding day?
– Like a million dollars, nothing more fabulous than being photographed whilst having your hair and makeup done, I felt like a celeb with the paparazzi wanting to get a sneak peak at what the bride wore on her big day! Jo had such a gentle approach with everyone, and the second shooter Arienne got some fantastic shots of the grooms party which was amazing to see, every bride loves to know what the groom got up to the hours before the ceremony. I think having a second shooter is crucial and this was also a big selling point for us.
What did you like best about Jo and her style?
– We loved how Jo and Arienne took a step back, throughout the day we hardly noticed they were around capturing some beautiful, natural moments, a lot of guests said after that they didn’t even notice they were having their photo taken. We feel it made everyone comfortable and at ease, and not like they had to stage for these, other than the group photos but that was no hassle and very, very organised, unlike other weddings we’ve been to where it has taken forever and everyone has serious nip on from the freezing cold and all the flower girls are bored and pulling the petals off their bouquet!
What was you favourite wedding day picture and why?
– This is the worst question you could ever ask of me haha! I love every single one of them, even the one where I was putting on my wedding dress and you can see my tanned knees where I had worn ripped jeans a few weeks before sat out in my dad’s garden and flipping burnt them! That photo made my sides ache! Thank goodness for long wedding dresses! There are so many of me laughing hard with family/friends/during speeches that you can see my laughter lines around my eyes and me sporting a double chin, some might not appreciate this look themselves but it just proves how comfortable in my skin I felt that day. They’re so natural and one of my mums friends actually commented after looking through the photos saying she’d never seen me smile so much I looked the happiest I’ve ever been. There’s a beautiful photo of Craig and myself sat under the blossom tree in all its glory, sharing an intimate moment that is a close runner up, but I’d have to say my favourite is of our daughter and my mum shedding a few happy tears. They have tissues to their eyes, wiping tears away, unaware they’re being photographed. Who knew a 7 year old would have so many emotions. This is a moment we missed being caught up in saying our vows and me trying to fight back my own tears (god what an emotional wreck I was)!
What did Jo do that made you feel confident in her on the run up to your wedding?
– Jo was there every step of the way and was always reachable which we feel every bride and groom needs if they have any problems/requests. Jo gave us a run down of how she’d like group photos etc to go, which we felt was very important as for myself I have a mum and dad that are no longer together and for them to not be in a photo just them two was essential (no one needs that awkward tension). Jo also has a bridal Facebook page set up, it’s like a bride tribe full of amazing ladies will lots of questions, advice, recommendations and inspiration.
Would you recommend Jo to a friend?
– I have done so already to a few brides to be, I also had a friend contact me regarding Jo and her work after they had viewed our photos on Facebook. I couldn’t imagine anyone else to photograph the best day of our lives.
[Interviewed & Written by Maise Hunns as part of her Journalism Degree Work Experience for Summer Love Photography]